Support HB 4105 in House State Affairs Committee
Today, HB 4105 (Preservation of State Sovereignty over Marriage Bill) by Rep. Cecil Bell will have a Public Hearing at 10:30am or on adjournment in the House State Affairs committee in Room 140 of the John H. Reagan building on the north side of the Capitol on the capitol grounds. We need a strong showing of support for marriage between one man and one woman at the hearing.
Texas must send a forceful message to the U.S. Supreme Court that Texas supports our Marriage Amendment before the Court meets for oral arguments in the gay marriage case on April 28th. The goal of this bill is to preserve the right of Texas to operate under its Constitutional definition of marriage, Art. 1, Sec. 32, which provides that, “Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman,” notwithstanding any decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to the contrary.
Texas has seen numerous recent attacks and threats to our state marriage laws and our state authority on this issue; (1) Texas Supreme Court is being pressured to grant same-sex divorces, (2) some county clerks in Texas have even threatened to issue same-sex ‘marriages’ licenses based on their own personal opinions in clear disregard of state law, (3) and lesbian Houston Mayor Annise Parker is currently recognizing same-sex marriages from others states for employee benefits in violation of state law and a current court order.
It is likely the full House will gavel in at 10 am, which means the committee will meet upon the conclusion of the House calendar. Depending on how many bills and how controversial they are, the House could be in session for quite a long time. This means that the committee hearing may not start until afternoon and may go into the evening. Please plan for a potentially long day.
Please help support this important bill by taking the following action steps:
- Please contact your state representative and ask for their support of HB 4105. To find your elected officials please visit our website here.
- If you are able to attend the hearing, please be sure to sign-in in favor of the bill and stay in the room to help support us. Please call our office at 512-478-2220 if you need help regarding how to sign your name in favor of the bill via the Texas Legislature’s system at the capitol.
- Please call and email the committee members below and ask them to support HB 4105. *If you know individuals that live in the committee members districts, please ask them to call in support of these bills!*
Republican members of the State Affairs Committee:
1. Byron Cook – Chair, email@example.com 512-463-0730
2. Patricia Harless – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0496
3. John Kuempel – email@example.com 512-463-0602
4. Dan Huberty – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0520
5. Charlie Geren – email@example.com 512-463-0610
6. Marsha Farney – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0309
7. John Smithee – email@example.com 512-463-0702
8. Tom Craddick – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0500
Democrat members of the State Affairs Committee:
1. Sylvester Turner – email@example.com 512-463-0554
2. Helen Giddings – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0953
3. Jessica Farrar – email@example.com 512-463-0620
4. Rene Oliviera – firstname.lastname@example.org 512-463-0640