Kamala Harris: A Major Threat To Faith, Family & Freedom
Earlier this week, Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Biden confirmed what seemed likely all along: Senator Kamala Harris would be tapped as his running mate. Sen. Harris, one of the most radically liberal members of the U.S. Senate hails from background of antagonism toward social conservatives.
She is known for aggressively questioning Justice Brett Kavanaugh during his Supreme Court confirmation hearings in 2018 and being one of the leaders of the smear campaign against him.
How extreme is she? To get a sense of where on the ideological spectrum she lands, take a look at some of her positions on important issues impacting faith, family, and freedom:
Position on Abortion
To begin with, Harris has consistently been an advocate for late-term abortion, which is something the majority of Americans oppose. Some reports show she even supports abortion up to the moment of birth. During her days as California Attorney General, Harris even authorized a raid on the house of David Daleiden, head of a pro-life investigative group, after he exposed Planned Parenthood officials who were negotiating to sell baby body parts.
She has also repeatedly called for the repeal of the Hyde Amendment which gives protection to taxpayers so that they will not be compelled to help fund abortions. She also has a 100% voting record with Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America. She is a co-sponsor of one of the most radical and aggressive pro-abortion bills on the federal level, the Women’s Health Protection Act. This bill would have invalidated any state law the prohibits abortion after a baby is viable, and purports to override many other types of state pro-life protections.
Position on LGBT Agenda
Harris is known from her days as California’s Attorney General for her staunch advocacy of LGBTQ causes. As attorney general, she opposed Prop. 8, California’s law confirming that marriage as between a man and woman. When running as a candidate for the presidency, Harris advocated for forcing taxpayers to subsidize so-called “sex-change” surgeries through her Medicare plan. As a U.S. Senator, she also called for overturning President Trump’s ban on transgender individuals in the military.
Position on Religious Freedom
Harris has proved to be foe of religious freedom. Her desire to limit the religious freedom of citizens seems to be driven by, and intertwined with, her support for LGBTQ issues. As a senator, she introduced legislation to diminish the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA)called the “Do No Harm Act.” This legislation would have prevented the RFRA from being used to protect individuals with religious convictions against LGBTQ issues. It’s important to know that Texas has a state version of RFRA.
As a presidential candidate, Harris said she would immediately sign the so-called Equality Act, a bill that would add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected classes under federal civil rights law. This is the federal version of #BanTheBible bills pushed by several liberal Texas state legislators in the last legislative session that Texas Values Action led the effort to defeat.
All of the radical positions taken by Sen. Harris stand in stark contrast to the actions of President Trump’s administration in boldly supporting life and religious freedom. Our national allies at FRC Action have compiled an extensive list of the Trump/Pence accomplishments which include the following:
- Proposing a new regulation that clarifies that discrimination on the basis of sex in the Affordable Care Act was to be interpreted under the plain meaning of the word and does not include “gender identity” or “termination of pregnancy” as set forth by a 2016 Obama rule.
- Becoming the first sitting president to give remarks in person at the 2020 annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. stating that every child is a sacred gift from God and reiterated his effort to defend the sanctity of every human life.
- Had the Department of Labor issue guidance implementing the administration’s Religious Liberty Executive Order and the DOJ religious liberty guidance.
- On January 16, 2020 the Departments of Education and Justice issued guidance on constitutionally protected prayer and religious expression in public elementary and secondary schools.
- On January 22, 2020 the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at HHS approved a family planning waiver for Texas to implement a state-run Medicaid program that excludes abortion providers like Planned Parenthood.
As you can see, the battle lines are clearly drawn. One side is a staunch defender of religious liberty and pre-born children with a proven track record. The other believes in murdering babies up until birth and has used power and influence to force radical LGBTQ issues on bible-believing Christian conservatives more than once. Who do you want to be in national leadership for the next 4 years?